Monday, December 5, 2011

Heaven is For Real; A Book Review


When I first heard of Heaven is For Real, by Todd Burpo, I was skeptical to say the least. My mother, who does not subscribe to the Christian or any faith, was the one to bring it to my attention. I assumed it was one of those vaguely "spiritual" feel good books. Still, it intrigued me, so I started to look into it. After a little research and reading book reviews like this one, I decided it was worth a read, or a listen, on audiobook. I am glad I did.

Heaven is for Real is the true story of the Burpo family. Todd Burpo is a pastor of a small church in Nebraska. It is so small that he also owned a garage door business to make ends meet. From the telling in the book, he was content with his small town life, but God had other plans for him; or, more specifically, for his then four-year-old son Colton. Thru a series of events laid out in detail in the book, Colton had a near-death experience while being treated for a burst appendix. Four months later, the sight of the hospital triggered Colton to start talking about meeting Jesus while he was there. Gradually, Colton comes out with the story of his trip to Heaven and back, and the things he saw and did while there. This all happened while he was on the operating table having the remains of his appendix removed.

Several things that were detailed in the book make me believe little Colton's story. He was only 4 when this happened to him, and having a 4 year old myself I understand that they don't always know the difference between fantasy and reality. But Colton provided details that no four-year-old would know, from a description of his long-dead grandfather, now a younger man in Heaven, to the nail scarred hands of Christ (which he described as being like the lines left behind by markers). He talked about the rainbow in the throne room of God, and about meeting his sister whom his mother had miscarried. He had never been told of the miscarriage. Most of the facts portrayed either matched scripture or family history. The few that did not were not specifically addressed in scripture, and therefore could very well be true.
I also appreciated that his parents chose not to ask leading questions, but to probe for details as Colton brought them up. That way, they were less likely to taint the telling with their own version of events. Children, as we all know, are very susceptible to the influences of others, and will sometimes change their story. The Burpos tried to avoid this to the extent possible. For this reason, it took a number of years for the whole story to come out. And while details were added over time, no detail changed from an earlier telling, even the few times his father tried to trip him up.

So why read this book? I have often heard it said that if we really understood Heaven, we wouldn't take our problems here on Earth so seriously. I think that is true. I also think it can help make us less afraid of dying if we know what, and who, is waiting for us on the other side. It can also give reassurances for people who have lost loved ones, even unborn babies, that we truly will see them again. It is told in a story form, and therefore can be very accessible to most people, even young people. I have even been able to answer some of my four-year-old's questions better after reading Colton's perspective. Is this scripture? No. It is fallible. But perhaps God did want to send us a message of hope, and found an ambassador in this young man. Perhaps the most compelling reason to read it is in Colton's own words. When asked what he most wanted people to know from his story, Colton, now age 10, answered, "I want them to know that Heaven is for real."
Written by Rachael DeWitt, LCSW

1 comment:

  1. I had been wondering about this book, also. Now I think I'll have to read it! Thanks, Rachael.

    ReplyDelete