Thursday, October 5, 2017

Overdose Awareness


August 31st was International Overdose Awareness Day. Raising awareness over this day is crucial. There is a large stigma around substance use which causes people to struggle with getting the help that they need or even admitting that they need help. Overdose is a preventable death and thousands of people die each year from overdose that come from all walks of life.  
Some signs of overdose are below and if you notice them do not hesitate to seek medical attention;
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Seizures
  • Diarrhea 
  • Chest pains
  • Any drastic changes in behavior
Not only is this day important to acknowledge overdose and work towards further prevention of this death; it is also important to support the people who have lost someone to overdose. It is a very difficult topic for someone to discuss when they have lost someone in such a drastic, unpredictable way. 
Personally, I experienced an overdose of someone very close to me when I was in college. He had almost two years of sobriety when he relapsed. I did not want to talk about it and did not acknowledge any thoughts or emotions for two years. Eventually, the emotions began to come out in ways that I did not expect and I was forced to talk about it to begin the grieving process. Talking about it has lifted a burden I did not know I was carrying. It has helped me connect to my clients and other people in my life on a deeper level. There is no shame in talking about someone who has passed away from overdose. In allowing ourselves to talk about this we can find support and comfort in others. I have now even found a way to honor him in the work that I am doing each day. 
There is no shame in seeking substance use treatment for someone you love or for yourself. There is no shame to talk about someone who has passed away from overdose. We have to bring a voice to this cause.

By: Sam Hicks, LCPC

No comments:

Post a Comment