Thursday, January 21, 2016

Season In Between

Life doesn’t happen as a smooth, steady and straight path. It has ups and downs, ins and outs, and twists and turns. I call these seasons. There are seasons that are smooth and bring a sense of fullness. There are seasons on the mountaintop. There are also seasons in the valley, dessert, or wilderness. There are seasons of transition and seasons of waiting. For those of us prone towards depressive or anxiety symptoms, there are seasons when these symptoms are lower (maybe even seem non-existent at times) and others where they are higher. A season I haven’t thought much of before is the season of being in between. 

Maybe I haven’t thought about it much because it can share elements from the seasons of waiting and transition.  However, what seems to set this season apart is the element of the unknown. You may not know what is on the other side or you may know what you want on the other side, but don’t know if it is going to happen. For example, 
  • Stepping out of one career and into another. Perhaps you’re not fully out of the first one yet or perhaps you’ve started in the career path but aren’t sure about the path.
  • Being in between life stages. Perhaps, there are several changes happening, some changes that have moved into a transition season where you are adjusting and finding you’re new normal while other changes are still in a state of full or partial unknown.
  • When a hurt has happened in a relationship and you’ve apologized, but the relationship is not yet reconciled and you don’t know if it will be.
  • When you sense there are parts of yourself that have gotten buried or lost. You know some of them are alright to let go of, while some of them need to be unearthed or found yet you know that they may need to have some changes to them when they return. 
  • When you sense there are parts of yourself that need healing or growth, but maybe aren’t sure what that looks like or aren’t sure what you’ll look like once the healing or growth is done. 

The most difficult aspect to a season in between is this element of the unknown. We can feel lost and uncertain about who we are, our purpose, and other life questions in this time.  The song Time In Between has been encouraging me lately in my own in between season where though I might not know what is next, God does, and as I seek Him, He will lead me to what or who I need in this time as well as show me what my part is. Below is an excerpt of the second verse and chorus; you can view the full lyrics using the link in the reference section. 

Don't take much for this crazy world
To rob me of my peace
And the enemy of my soul
Says You're holding out on me
So I stand here lifting empty hands
For You to fill me up again

But it's the time in between
That I fall down to my knees
Waiting on what You'll bring
And the things that I can't see
I know my song's incomplete
Still I'll sing in the time in between

Reference: 
Songwriters, Battistelli, Francesca and Lagerberg, Clint. Time In Between [Recorded by Battistelli, Francesca]. On My Paper Heart [CD]. Location: Fervent Records. (Released July 22, 2008). Lyrics retrieved from http://www.metrolyrics.com/time-in-between-lyrics-francesca-battistelli.html.


By Adrienne Kather, LPC

No comments:

Post a Comment