Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Persevering Through Stressful Times

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  James 1:2-4

Pure joy? Really? You've got to be kidding!

When we have difficulties mounting around us, the idea of "considering it pure joy" can be incomprehensible to our human minds. Whether it's the stress at a job , a sick child, an aging parent, or a relationship conflict, too much stress can be immobilizing. Suddenly just getting dressed can be a challenge. Simple things like taking a shower, making meals or even getting out of bed can feel like hard labor. So how can James, the brother of Jesus, say to have joy during such times?

I've been pondering this verse on and off for a few weeks.  I thought I had it figured out and proceeded to write up this blog article. When I went to post it, the computer completely wiped it out. My tablet has been acting up and the wireless keyboard I was using might not have been charged up enough.  I don't know why it erased the whole article but when it did, I felt pretty stressed out.  There was no joy in my mind or heart!  Once again the whole concept didn't make any sense at all.  So what had I learned from the first time I wrote about this?  Well, I had a great opportunity to put into practice the thoughts that had first come to my mind about perseverance.  

First I gave myself a breather.  I got away from the computer and took a walk, Getting outside and moving my muscles allowed my mind to focus on the hear and now; the wind in the trees, the squirrel running up a tree and neighbor children playing in the yard.  This helped to shrink the problem for me and helped me to let go of my frustrations for a bit.  Now granted it was not a monumental problem, in fact it was a very small one.  What it amounted to was one more thing on my plate (and when the plate is already overflowing, one more thing can be just plain overwhelming).  

Walking outside in nature has always been a stress reliever for me and definitely helps me to endure through tough situations. Even if the problem is a big one and is still there when I’m through walking, somehow my mind feels a little clearer and things seem more manageable when I allow myself to take a break. While walking I’m able to spend time with the Lord, to focus on His power, His love and His divine wisdom. I no longer see the problem as all my own. God is there with me in it. It’s His problem too since He is allowing it to happen (for my good I’m told) and He can bring me through it victoriously.  


Another way I am able to experience hope and peace is to talk with someone who really knows me and loves me. Having someone who will listen, attempt to understand without judgment and give me the encouragement I need is a huge help. It makes me really appreciate the people in my life who care. It can bring me some peace, if not yet joy, and gives a glint of the light that God is shining through the hard times.  It opens my mind to the possibility that building our character and our relationships is the main thing, the thing that really counts and that will remain in eternity.

As I reflect on the verse “Consider it pure joy whenever you face trials…” I have to say that getting through them stronger than before is an amazing feeling.  It may be why people run marathons (which I could never understand) and why some climb mountains in the freezing snow. There’s something about enduring life’s challenges that makes us ponder why we’re here, what’s really important to us, and tests our faith to discover if it’s real or not. It also makes us more aware of our blessings, the many gifts we have each day, one of which is the gift of a positive attitude that will not give in to negativity.

Now that I’ve finished writing this 2nd little blog article, I feel refreshed, knowing that I do not need to be defeated by modern technology. Even though it may drive me crazy (often), I can take a break, get a hug, and access God’s power to start again, stronger than I was before. And when something harder comes I will not lose hope, because God has always gotten me through and He promises that He will be with us to the end and beyond. I may have to keep exercising my will and my muscles but it will not be in vain. It will be for His glory and maybe even actual reward someday.  So let us keep the faith no matter what, uniting together as believers who never give up hope.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written:

“For Your sake we are killed all day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” 

Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 8:35-39

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11


By: Francine Costanza, LCPC

No comments:

Post a Comment